Voice over rates for beginners
For beginners in the voiceover industry, rates can be on the lower end as they are still building their experience and portfolio. As of my last update in September 2021, beginner voice actors might charge around $50 to $150 per project or per minute of finished audio. However, it’s important to note that rates can vary depending on the project type, usage rights, and the individual’s skill level.
As a beginner, it’s essential to be competitive with your pricing while still valuing your time and talent appropriately. Here are some factors to consider when determining your rates as a beginner:
- Project Type: Rates may differ for various types of projects, such as explainer videos, e-learning modules, commercials, audiobooks, video games, etc.
- Usage Rights: Consider whether the client will have exclusive or non-exclusive rights to the recording, as this can impact the pricing.
- Length of Script: Some voice actors charge per word or per minute of finished audio, so the length of the script will influence the rate.
- Experience and Training: While you may be a beginner, if you have received voiceover training or have related experience, it may justify a slightly higher rate.
- Market and Demand: Rates can vary based on the demand for voiceover services in your specific market.
- Negotiation: Be open to negotiating with clients, especially if the project is low-budget or you are looking to gain experience and build your portfolio.
As you gain experience and improve your skills, you can gradually increase your rates to align with industry standards and the value you provide as a voice actor. Networking, joining voiceover communities, and seeking feedback from industry professionals can also help you understand the market better and set competitive rates.